Standard Benefits for Workers’ Compensation Claims in Virginia
Workers who are injured because of a work-related accident or who have an occupational disease that is work-related are entitled to benefits for their injuries or illness. It is not a requirement to show fault. All the worker has to show is that the accident or disease was work related, that they were an employee and that they suffered lost wages or medical expenses because of their work. Through a successful workers’ compensation claim, workers and / or their family members may be able to secure one or more of the following types of benefits:
- Lifetime Medical Benefits: Workers are entitled to payment for reasonable efforts they make to get physically and mentally better so they can heal and return to work. These expenses include payment for doctor bills, hospital bills, medications, and medical equipment. It can also include transportation costs.
- Lost Wages: Employees are entitled to a percentage of their lost wages during the time they are not able to work.
- Permanent Partial Disability: Workers who lose a body part (a finger, hand, leg, or arm for example) or who lose their vision or hearing, have a lung disease, or a body scar or disfigurement are often entitled to compensation for their loss.
- Permanent Total Disability: Workers who can’t work because of a loss of both hands, arms, feet, legs, eyes, or any two body parts due to the same accident or who are paralyzed or suffer a severe brain injury are also entitled to compensation.
- Death Benefits: If a worker dies because of a workplace injury or illness, the surviving family members and dependents may be entitled to compensation for the lost wages of the worker and funeral and transportation costs.
Other reimbursements may include mileage and cost of living increases.
Contact a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Norfolk Today
Norfolk attorney Joe Miller at Joe Miller Law, Ltd., has been helping employees who have been hurt in a work-related accident or who have suffered a disease related to their work for over 25 years, and he can help you fight for the compensation you need if you or someone you love has suffered a work-related injury. To learn more about what he can do for you, call (888) 694-1671 today.